Thursday, June 28, 2012

Here's a little more of the adventure!

         I've been having the time of my life here in Virginia! I've been able to ride so many different horses, and I am really excited about how much I've learned just by riding other horses.  Sunny arrived in Virginia looking very good, it was a pleasant surprise since shipping a horse across the country can be stressful. She has settled in well, and she has really stepped up to the plate as far as training goes.               I've been having a bunch of lessons with Lainey, in 2 flat lessons on my horse we've gotten so far! We have many more to go, but that's ok, that's why I'm out here. I always learn so much from Lainey's lessons.              I've always had some rails in show jumping, which always bums me out. But Lainey discovered the problem. I need to get sunny more round, and forward. And I need to bring her ears up and balance her in front of the fences so she can get her feet out of the way. It's really good to know that my horse is scopey as heck, but I just need to work on riding her more balanced.  Lainey also has been having me ride in a half seat in front of the fences because i have developed a driving seat, and i have the tendency to drive her past the distances sometimes. Sun Buns doesn't like it when I sit the trot and have contact on her mouth, so we have been working on getting her to accept that. That's a problem that Lainey says we have to fix NOW, so we will continue to work on it.          The Cross Country (xc) schooling out here is amazing. In fact, everything is amazing here in Virginia!          I went to my first event out here called Surefire HT. Lainey and her horses went on Saturday, and I rode Sunday. I got to get up at 2AM both days, and work the whole day at the horse show. It was exhausting, but I loved every minute of it. I learned how to put in studs, and I learned the workings of this one day horse shows. I wish we could have one days out in CA, they are so much easier and faster!        Sunny was very good on Sunday. We had our personal best dressage test, we had two rails in show jumping, and of course a double clear XC at Novice level. She was a very good girl, taking very well to standing at a horse trailer all day. Very proud of my girl!             I am so glad I get to have this experience with someone like Heidi, who has done this before. It's so much work but it's a little more fun when your with someone else! Heidi tells me that all the time. She had a great working student experience last summer and she's back for more!         We wake up at about 700 AM and get to the barn about 800 and  feed the horses. We either flat, hack, trot set or jump, some days we get lessons from Lainey. We get done riding around 400 or so, and then we feed again at night at about 500 or 600, depending on how hot it is. Sometimes we even turn out a little later if it's really hot. Which brings me to the weather... We've had everything from rain practically flooding the barn to 100 degree heat and humidity. The heat is bearable, you just drip sweat all day,  and drink so much water.    And then do it all again the next day! I'm always so excited to go to the barn, I absolutely love it! If anyone else gets an opportunity to be a working student for such a great rider and coach  like Lainey, go do it. It's the best experience.           My next show is the first Lochmoy up in Maryland, and  I'm moving up to training level! Very exciting!    That's all for now!  And thank you, Mom, Lainey, Yvette, Val and Heidi for everything!!!! And also thank you Shiela, Bethany, Sam, and Lauren for being so nice and welcoming to me! And Shiela, thank you for the pictures! They are truly amazing , I love looking at them!!!   I really appreciate it all  since I'm 3,000+ miles from home and everything I know!                  

No comments:

Post a Comment