Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My Training Level Debut

July 15, 2012 I am writing this as we crawl along in traffic outside DC. We are on our way home from a really fun, successful Maryland HT at Loch Moy Farm. This was Sunny's second training level. Her first training level was last weekend at the same place. She put in a good test at the first MDHT, a good SJ round, but we had a rail anyway. At least I rode well! And then a fabulous double clear XC ride, finishing in 6th place! Lainey was so proud of us! I have to say, I love my horse! Also, before the first LochMoy, I was very fortunate to go up to Buck Davidson's farm and have a jump lesson. He had us jumping around a prelim show jump course.  I learned so much, and he had some great  exercises for us to work on. Thank you to Lainey for setting the lesson up! And thank you Sheila for driving up with me!  **A few of my Buck lesson notes** Hips first to jump, shoulders last More balanced canter, bring her head up. Think "dressage in front of the fences" Make only one decision in front I then fence Heels down for a more stable position "see how Lainey brings his head in before the jump?" When you screw your distance up, change something such as the approach  Rounder on right rein Hold posture over jump Second Loch Moy.... We improved our dressage test! And Sunny got a 7 on her gaits which was really nice to hear. My show jump round needed some adjusting that didn't quite happen this time around, but fortunately Sun Bun helped me out and we had only one rail. She rocked around XC double clear, finishing in 7th place and  Lainey and I were really happy how quickly she cooled out after XC!  I'm so proud of my girl these past two weekends! She has placed in her first two training levels!  We are going to a jumper show this next weekend to work on show jumping. Sunny has plenty of talent, I just need to work on riding her a little better in the ring. And then we will be heading up to New York for Millbrook HT, I'm super stoked for Millbrook! My goals are to improve our dressage, and go double clear SJ, and double clear XC, LET's DO THIS!  Thank you Lainey for being such a great coach, thank you for the Buck lessons. Thank you for everything!!!! And once again, Sheila, thank you so much for the pictures! I love them! I have to go see the video still! And thank you for driving up to Buck's, and MDHT with me! I really appreciate it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment